M&A #38: biscous


Not to be one to toot one's own horn, but toot motherfuckin toot its our birthday! Exactly one year to the day since the first mix went up and aint that a nice thing! 37 mixes so far, and plenty more to come before the end of the year. There had been plans to put on a real life party again to celebrate, and maybe something after exams too, but alas.. that shan't be happening. However worry not! We're still here with smiley music, fun memories and exciting feels for the future, post 'rona. Coming back to grace us with his talents is the man that kicked it all off with the very first one, biscous, aka Joe Hilton. This lovely boy is the definition of a mainstay on the Cambridge circuit; Turf, OOX, Slipped Disc and Grandma Groove residencies sit comfortably in his back pocket, while appearances at that weird one off Boiler Room night (pictured) and King's Bunker (I'm sure I've forgotten others too) give a good indication of the esteem he's held in here. With plans to stay for another year, most of you guys will get to see plenty more of him, but for now just put this on, have a special glass of prosecco and slice of birthday cake and let the memories of those nights wash over you. Woop!



How did you record the mix?

Serato + DDJ SX3 controller in my bedroom the other week when the sun was shining.

What were you trying to do with it?

I’d initially planned to do a very lofi mix for revision listening. However, a wise man [Josh Dawson, M&A Editor] pointed out that what people really want is some excitement in their lives at the moment. I’ve therefore tried to strike the balance between a club mix and home listening. 

I recorded the mix without planning much of what to include so it changes direction a few times. I start with some shimmery synths and smooth RnB vocals, a garage interlude in the middle and some head-bobbing breaks to end things off. I wanted the mix to be the perfect accompaniment to an evening walk/run as the sun is setting; just heavy enough to provide some energy, but not too inaccessible. Seeing as we can only have one bit of exercise a day during lockdown, it's important to find the right soundtrack. 

What’s coming up for you during/after quarantine?

I’m currently just trying to get some work done for my finals. There are a few other mixes I’m planning to make and I’m also keen to learn the ropes of music production. Hopefully I’m staying at Cambridge for a Masters’ so I’ll keep DJing with the nights I currently play for. Perhaps I’ll start a night of my own one day, who knows!

Joe’s Tracklist:

Earth Boys - Canal St. Blues 
Chaos in the CBD - Dusty Sundays
DJ Life - Peia
Interplanetary Criminal - 702
Adam Pits - Pest control 
Breaka - Apricot cocktails 
Cop Envy - Cue two [Opal Tapes]
Interplanetary Criminal - Gyaldem Dub 
Southside Allstars - Angel (2002 Step Mix)
Valerie Etienne - Misunderstanding (MJ Cole Mix)
Earth Boys - Myrtle Music
Adam Pits - Balance beam
Sweely - This Is Between Me And You
Interplanetary Criminal - So Alone
Bash - Jubilee (Al Wootton Remix)
Pepe - N3V3R C4LL M3 
Pepe - T0M’S D1N3R

Comments

Popular Posts