M&A #36: Tom McIntosh





This time of year is never easy for students at this uni. What usually keeps us sane (or at least this one lonely writer) is imagining what will come soon after: the tinnies in warm fields, the smell of fag smoke rising from a just-bobbing throng of the shirtless or face-painted, the jaw ache and tired satisfaction that comes with the morning after. While that exact experience may not be coming quite as soon as it usually would, eventually it will, and this next mix is one that transports you right there. Recorded in Madrid on his year abroad, Tom McIntosh delivers exactly that deep, cerebral house sound that just tastes of those gorgeous afternoons out in the woods. He's more accustomed to contributing to the music scene in a writing capacity, being involved with Varsity and recently the Identification of Music facebook group, but this mix shows off how that experience has developed his ear to really understand those moments. You can feel the heat rising off the dancefloor and the dancers being coaxed out into the open with this one. Enjoy it, and remember we'll be back out there dancing at some point.



How did you record the mix?

I recorded it in January on Rekordbox using my Pioneer DDJ-400 controller at my flat in Madrid. Stupidly I left the decks there when I came back home the other week before the Coronavirus lockdown so I’m going to have to fly back at some point and pick them back up, AND in the meantime I have nothing to practice on...

What were you trying to do with it?

I’ve done some music writing before for Varsity and at the moment I’m working on some stuff with the Identification of Music group on Facebook - towards the back end of last year I thought I’d better put my money where my mouth is and try and learn to mix. Those who can’t do, teach, and those who can’t teach, write. So I went to DJ school in Argentina on my year abroad and here I am now. It’s not the neatest thing in the world (ideally I would’ve liked to have recorded something new for Milk and Alcohol) but it’s a good selection of music that I like at the moment. A lot of synthy garage house with a bit of minimal and some techno thrown in and a disco slammer to round it off. 

What’s your musical guilty pleasure?

I’m a firm believer that there’s no such thing as a guilty pleasure really but if we’re going down that road, then it’s no secret amongst my friends that I love Madonna. Knocking on now for 40 years of absolute heaters. I like her 00s stuff the best, probably because I grew up with it, and one of my favourite tracks of hers is Get Together. One day I’ll find a way to work a Madonna song into my set...

What’s the last song you listened to?

As I type this I’m listening to Snakehips by Manakinz, which is the new side project by Harri from Sub Club. One for all you fact fans: he’s actually Jasper James’ dad.

Who is your favourite producer/performer at the moment?

Oh my God where to begin. So many. Over Christmas I saw the Ghost at North Shore Troubador in Liverpool, where I’m from, and I’ve been listening to a lot of him since. On a similar vibe I love the stuff Gene on Earth is doing at the moment. There’s a Dutch DJ I really like called Carista, I think she’s brilliant. Eris Drew and Octo Octa kill it every time I watch one of their sets. My favourite producer of all time though is Kerri Chandler, incredibly rich discography. I saw him at Printworks in London last year with Mr G and Motor City Drum Ensemble who are both also sick, particularly Mr G - don’t think he’s ever put out a record I didn’t love.

What is your go to banger?

In terms of bringing a party up? Ben Sims - Raise Your Hands is a good one which I’ve rinsed for all its worth in the past. Killer bassline. 

What’s coming up for you during/after Quarantine?

Very little! I’m back for my fourth year at Cambridge in October - or so I hope, I guess no one knows with the state of things at the moment - and I’d love to play some parties there, so if anyone from Turf is reading, hit me up. In the meantime without my decks I’ve been doing a fair bit of (digital) cratedigging so hopefully when I get them back I can play some new stuff and record some mixes with a couple of my mates who also play.

Tom's Tracklist:
min - artist - track - label


[00:00] Armand Van Helden – Work Me Gadamit ’96 [HENRY STREET MUSIC]

[03:54] Kim English – Supernatural (Red Dog Club Dubb) [NERVOUS]
[08:35] Sweely – Dancing With You [CONCRETE MUSIC]
[12:45] Trevor Rockcliffe – Jumping (Deep House Mix) [MENTOR]
[16:31] Tony Verdi – I Wanna Dance [SERIAL KILLER VINYL]
[22:55] Artistry – The Worker [FRESH FRUIT]
[28:12] Ejeca – Yabadi [YOM TUM]
[31:43] Kettama – In The Garage [SHALL NOT FADE]
[36:19] Mr. G – Lights (G’s Out Dub) [DEFECTED]
[41:19] Disco-Tex – 4 Love [PANIC]



Comments

Popular Posts