M&A #41: Reductio


Reductio is unique in the cohort of DJs to feature here so far (as far as I know) as he is the only one who moonlights as an organ scholar when he's not bopping out dance tracks or (or working). His two specialties couldn't be more opposed, as his productions are a blend of technicolour EDM and pumping tech-house; far removed from the fugues and chorales of a chapel setting. The mix he's given to us is firmly on the tech-house end of this spectrum (although it would be impressive to mix Saint-Saëns and Solardo), with a flutter into a Coachella vibe crossed with Suicide Circus... if you get what I mean. 


How did you record the mix?

Rekordbox and a DDJ. Basic but does the job. 

What were you trying to do with it?

Have fun, something that’s becoming rarer and rarer at the moment. I wanted to do a mix of some of my favourite tracks along with some of the tunes ive produced as i haven’t really done that yet. 

You’ve had a couple of releases recently, on Roller Blaster and Mojoheadz. How did that link up come about?

After my first couple of months of producing I started sending tracks off to labels just to see the response and where I was at, and to my surprise a couple of the tracks were picked up fairly quickly and they wanted to release them. 

There was quite a quick turnaround from starting electronic music production to these releases. How did you pick it all up so fast? Do you handle the mixing and mastering part of the process yourself too? What tips or tricks would you have for someone wanting to get the essentials down to put good music out?

My classical training has definitely helped massively and without it i definitely wouldn’t be where i am now. I get all my tracks mastered as i haven’t learnt that yet, but it’s somewhere on my to do list. Dopamine was both mixed and mastered by the label as it was only the 4th track i’ve ever made and although they liked the musical content of it, the sound design was just dreadful. Throughout the past 9 months though my mixing has gotten so much better, and when my track Lying To Me was played on BBC Introducing i knew i had reached a level of mixing which was good enough to be played on the radio which was a huge achievement for me. I know I’ve still got tons to learn though.

As for tips, just keep producing music constantly-with every track you make you learn something new. And don’t be afraid to put your music out there or to send it to people. Any feedback is good feedback in the early stages. 

You’re an organ scholar as well, unexpected for a DJ! Do you find theres any similarity between the classical and choral music you’re playing and dance music you’re into? Is there anything about the way it makes you feel that’s similar or are they scratch different itches?

It is an odd combination, i agree. I like classical pieces in minor keys, and i like organ pieces with big moving basslines, two components which are common in tech house and something i try to bring in to my own productions. I think i’ve only produced maybe two tracks which are in a major key, although I’m not sure that’s a good thing! My tastes are definitely in the darker sides of music, but if it makes me energised then i’m hooked, classical or contemporary. It’s a different kind of hype though. It’s not like classical music reminds me of sweaty warehouses and all-night-long raves. 

What’s your musical guilty pleasure?

Probably Bach’s Fugue in G Minor. I want to make an edit of it so i can put it in my sets. What a tune. 

What’s the last song you listened to?

Deadeye by Sorley. First time i heard it i didnt like it at all but it’s grown on me and i’m now a sucker for it, especially the vocals. 

Who is your favourite producer/performer at the moment?

Got to be Chris Lake. He’s got such a varied catalogue of music and he’s definitely one of the best in the tech house scene at the moment. He’s also trained in organ playing so there’s that. 

What is your go-to banger?

Losing It by FISHER. I know it's cliché but there’s never been a time when i’ve played that and the dancefloor hasn't gone crazy. Pump It Up by Endor is also great. I catch myself singing it multiple times a day. 

What’s coming up for you during/after Quarantine?

I’m producing tons of music at the moment and learning as much as i can. I’ve got a few releases lined up, a couple with some exciting labels as well as some awesome collabs including one with Anish Kumar (M&A #30) which I’m very much looking forward to. I’ve also been making future house and more melodic EDM under the alias Amores, and there’s tracks coming out on a couple of labels under that alias in the next few months-my first single and my first EP as well so I’m very excited about that. Onwards and upwards. 

Reductio’s Tracklist:



Destination Calabria - Alex Gaudino (Reductio Remix)
DFCW - SOSA
Refuse - Reductio 
On the corner - Solardo
Dopamine - Reductio
Feelin' - Costa UK
Fresh - Reductio
Do it like this - Biscits
Feeling Heartless - Reductio
Make that move - Juanito
Lying to me - Reductio
Sprint - Samuel Dan, Juanito
Festive - Reductio
Red light green light - Duke Dumont (Biscits Remix)
Groovy cat - PAWSA
I want you - Chris Lake
Deeper love - Anish Kumar, Reductio
Bad - Tough Love
Freaks - FISHER
Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics (James Hype Remix)
Temperature - Sean Paul (Elliot Kay Remix)
September - Earth, Wind & Fire (Reductio Remix)

Comments

Popular Posts