M&A #14: Hamish OOX







Hamish has been key to the Cambridge dance scene’s development over the last few years. He helped host Deptford Northern Soul Club a while back and has since regularly put on his own raucous OOX nights. The OOX DJ collective has steadily expanded, while the night has spread its wings to London and Bristol, even starting up a record label of the same name. Hamish has recently moved his operation to the capital, and this final OOX night of the year is a massively significant one for him as he cements his place as the up and coming disco DJ to look out for, by going b2b with renowned disco, jazz and psych connoisseur, Harri Pepper. Get a feel for Hamish's vibe here, as he jams out a few of his recent finds and old favourites.


How did you record the mix?

The mix was recorded with a single turntable plugged into a Pioneer DDJ SX2 Controller- so the tracks alternate between vinyl and mp3. I am saving up for a second turntable but it may be a long wait!

What were you trying to do with the it?

I was just improvising rather than going for anything specific. There's some new downloads I wanted to test out and some records that were cluttering up my desk.

How do you dig for records/find new music? Do you have a specific process?

Youtube is such a great tool. I like old music and so much of that isn’t available via streaming platforms. I discover something I love on Youtube, write it down on a post-it and then hopefully I stumble across it in a record shop. If I simply have to have the track, then Discogs is the next port of call!


Is OOX in Cambridge coming to a sad end on Monday?? What have been the highlights of running it? What would you say you’ve learned?

Oh no! We are not done yet! Cambridge will always be the home of OOX. We will be kicking off a new series of exciting parties in October with some brilliant DJs that haven’t been up to Cambridge yet!
A major highlight for me is whenever I hear kind words from the people that come party with us.
I’ve learnt that the timing of a night is super key to attendance. This is hard. I need a crystal ball so I can just chill the hell out and concentrate on the important stuff.


How did your b2b with Harri Pepper come about? What have we got to look forward to on Monday night?

Harri Pepper and I met not long ago when he sold me some records in Cosmos (Hackney) where he works. Our taste crosses over a lot. We haven’t played together before so I am not sure what to expect! I’m just bringing as many records along as possible and we can see where it goes. Harri is a seasoned pro and a regular at major festivals. I’m sure I will pick up lots of tips and tricks.

It’s sure to teach me a lot about how the mood and energy of the crowd can be manipulated over a longer timeframe. Can I make people close their eyes, spin, put their hands up, embrace, get low? That’s the work of a DJ who is really worth their salt.
There will be a lot of experimentation with tempo, syncopated rhythms, key changes- I’m super excited.

What is your musical guilty pleasure?

Dolce Vita - Ryan Paris

What is the last song you listened to?

Save The Overtime For Me - Gladys Knight & The Pips

Who is your favourite producer/performer at the moment?

A Boy From Outer Space

What is your go to tune to bring a party up/banger?

Keep On Jumpin’ - Musique

What was the best party you’ve played?

Weirdly I had a great time at Queens’ Bounce last year. Weird because I had to run off the stage twice because I was feeling sick. The crowd just really wanted to dance and I love playing in the open air. Looking forward to this May Week!

What have you got planned for the future?

I’m now based in London which is opening lots of doors musically. The DJ collective is growing and we will be throwing regular parties in the city. We have played some gigs in far flung places such as Leeds and Bristol too!
So. Things to keep an eye on: more OOX radio shows, our next series of parties alternating between London and Cambridge & the launch of our very own record label- OOX Music!  

[sorry no track list for this one yet! Mixcloud should give you the songs, but get in touch if you really want to know one!!]



Comments

Popular Posts