M&A #13: CO3





-->
CO3, aka Timi Sotire, is a relative newcomer to the Cambridge scene, but has made a name for herself in the short time it’s been. From starting out playing around at Rudie, to turning it up early at Avant Gardening and closing out Reclaim the Decks, she’s taken to mixing like a duck to water and can count Sherelle (mad Boiler Room here) among her admirers. As she looks to move up and out into the London scene, check out her euphoric blend of gospel, disco, soul, house and funk.


How did you record the mix?

I used a new controller I got last month, the Pioneer XDJ-RX.

What were you trying to do with the it?

I just wanted to showcase some of the songs I’ve been listening to throughout exam term. Although this term has been stressful, I like how having plenty of study time gives me a chance to listen to some new music. It sounds weird but listening to new music actually helps me concentrate, so in a way it was the perfect time to make a new mix. I really struggle keeping to one genre when doing a mix so thought I’d try it here (I know there’s some rogue songs on there but it’s a process lol)

One of the themes I noticed was a gospel sound running through some of the vocals, noticeably the one or two that have been sampled by Floorplan among others. Was this something you were conscious of? Do you think that sound comes a lot in the stuff you’re into?

Yes! The song sampled by Floorplan is ‘Lovin is Really my Game’ by Ann Nesby which is actually a cover of a song originally sang by Brainstorm. A lot of the music that I listen to and use for mixing is either Gospel or has Gospel/Soul/R&B influences. I definitely think that this is because of my upbringing. My parents are strong Christians, and as a kid there was a strict christian-music-only rule in the house, so most of the CDs we had at home and in the car were Gospel. Now that I’m older, I find Gospel music therapeutic because of its nostalgic element. So, I really want to bring this into the mixes I do, Gospel has influenced so much of the music that we listen to today, but is really underappreciated, I want my mixes to show how incredible of a genre it is. When it comes to vocals, I think the voice is the best instrument and I want my mixes to show that. And on a more practical note, I’m not really a fan of music with no words. I have a few exceptions, but overall I find that songs with a strong vocal track just hit differently.

How do you dig for records/find new music? Do you have a specific process?

I mainly use Spotify, the Spotify radio is the best way for me to find new music. I also use YouTube a lot as there are remixes on there you can’t find on streaming services.

How did you get into DJing originally?

Last year my friends and I had a club night called Rudie, and we didn’t have anyone for the first hour for one of the sets so Will Gore and I decided to do a set (well it was mainly him as I didn’t know what the hell I was doing). But because of that, people thought I was a fully-fledged DJ and I was asked to do Reclaim the Decks in November, so I had to teach myself how to DJ in like a week. I’m still learning a lot so I’m a bit rusty!

You have played in both Bristol and Cambridge, at Reclaim the Decks, HHsoc After Party and Avant Gardening. How have those nights gone? How do you go about preparing to play a set?

I’ve done a few sets now, but I still get incredibly nervous before I do one since I’m so new to the game and the DJs in Cambridge are amazing! My favourite set by far was Avant Gardening because it was my first time using CDJs and it didn’t actually go awfully!

I normally prepare a set by creating a playlist of like 50-60 songs from my iTunes that I want to include in the mix and just spend a couple of hours playing around on my decks. By that point I’ve found like 4-5 songs that mix really well together and create the rest of my mix based off of the BPM and genre of those few songs. I don’t really have a set way of preparing, I normally just play it by ear.

What is your musical guilty pleasure?

You are the music in me by Troy and Gabriella (from High School Musical 2).

What is the last song you listened to?

Battle by House Gospel Choir.

Who is your favourite producer/performer at the moment?

I love Bosq, he has been one of my favourite producers since I was in school and has some great releases this year, one of his new songs is in my mix!

What is your go to tune to bring a party up/banger?

American Boy by Estelle and Kanye!

What was the best party you’ve played?

I DJed in Bristol in front of Sherelle in March which was terrifying as she is one of my favourite DJs. But she loved my set, she said I was really good and had an amazing song choice, so yeah, I was gassed!

What have you got planned for the future?

I have a set at King’s Affair but I’m graduating this month so hoping that once I start work in August, I’ll get into the DJ scene in London. 



Timi’s Tracklist
Min - Title - Artist 

00:00 Finally (12’ Choice Mix) – CeCe Peniston
03:30 Lovin’ is Really my Game – Ann Nesby
07:00 Praisin’ His Name (Grant Nelson Remix) – Jasper Street Collective
10:00 Chicago Bus Stop (Ooh, I Love it) (DJ Spinna ReFreak) – The Salsoul Orchestra
12:30 Boogie (The Gemini Bros Sweet Mix) – Uptown Funnk Empire
15:00 Boss ass Bitch – PTAF
17:30 Do You Mind (Original Mix)- Christian Nielsen
19:00 Look Like That – Sneaks Ooh
20:45 What A Life (Gerd Janson and Shan Edit) – Gibson Brothers
24:00 Backstrokin’ – Bosq
27:00 Till I Found U (DJ Spen and Karizma Mix) – Jasper Street Collective and Louie Vega
31:00 Body Funk – Purple Disco Machine
34:00 Hallelujah Anyway (Dr Packer Remix) – Candi Staton
41:00 Beautiful People (Underground Network Mix) – Barbara Tucket
44:45 Til My Baby Comes Home (Kenny Carpenter Classic Mix) – Teddy Douglas, Marcell Russell



Comments

Popular Posts