M&A #30: Anish Kumar

Anish Kumar has been a quietly prodigious producer in Cambridge so far, but will undoubtedly soon start taking things up a notch. He started Panic Room, a fun night which began in Pembroke Old Cellars and is now getting a huge upgrade in moving to Lola's this Thursday. Anish characterises his - and Panic Room's - style as tense and edgy, conjuring up images of the steamy early hours, with nostalgic harmonies and euphoric climaxes. His most recent releases cover a grooving Dan Shake style of nu-disco/house (Blue Disco EP), Ibiza-feel EDM (House on Fire (Mixtape)) and the intense tech-house he uses to describe this mix (Huntsman EP). With all this (and more) already to his name, Anish is certainly one to watch.




How did you record the mix?


The songs come from a pool of tracks I feel embody the ‘Panic Room’ vibe - quite tense, they never quite let you feel comfortable enough to let your guard down. It’s how I hope to distinguish my style from the rest. As for recording it, I messed around with the order in a Spotify playlist until it made sense and just kind of went for it.

What were you trying to do with it?


So I planned it with the idea of being a ‘Panic Room’ mix, but in all honesty this is probably what I’d come out with regardless as it’s the style I’ve always loved. Most of the tracks I can imagine being rumbled out in a big abandoned warehouse. I’m really not afraid of throwing in the odd crowd-pleaser as long as it’s not out of place.

You’re involved with the upcoming Panic Room night at Lola’s. What’s the background behind that? And what can people expect from the upcoming night?

Panic Room started last year as just a little night in Pembroke’s Old Cellars for people who wanted to experience a night with this kind of music. I was keen to do it again at least once as it went down really well, and by working with our Ents Officer Akshar we’ve managed to get Lola’s to host the sequel as an inter-college event. I’m gassed.

You are one of only a couple of people who’ve included a track made by themselves in your mix! How long have you been producing for? How did you get into it and where’s it gone so far? There seems to be a lot out on your Spotify.

In all honesty I’ve always been a producer first, that’s where my real passion lies. I’ve been producing for 6 years, and I feel my releases reflect what I was in to at the time, almost embarrassingly so. I got into producing back when I was 14, trying to recreate Eminem rap instrumentals in Garageband haha. 

Just like everyone, I’m gradually trying to carve out my own style with every track I make but as of now, I have a handful of tracks I’m actually really proud of and am willing to stick in a mix. Huntsman would be the first example that comes to mind, and that’s the one I’ve included in this mix.

Quite a few people have mentioned that they produce the odd thing or two, but rarely put them online or in their mixes as they say they aren’t finished/mixed/mastered etc. How did you learn to get projects from the stage where they exist on your laptop, to being something you’re happy to put out there for all to hear? Is there anything you specifically learnt from/used to help you?

I honestly just churn them out. Not everything has to be released, and that can be quite liberating. Last year I put out an EP of poppy-house songs because a weird part of me wanted to prove I could - it really wasn’t the best motive but I guess it’s what I wanted to do at the time.

I’d be a massive hypocrite if I said don’t try imitate your idols - that’s perfectly fine but make sure you’re okay with the fact that you’ve already fallen behind the curve by doing so. Copying people can ramp up your technical ability incredibly fast, but that’s only half the battle - your ideas are going to be what breaks you through, not how well-mixed your kick drum is.

How do you find new music? And do you categorise the new stuff? Genre, mood, energy? Do you find the stuff you make being directly influenced by what you’re into at the time or do your productions take up a different headspace to tracks you might use in a DJ setting?

Me and my friends are constantly sending each other tunes we find. We usually get obsessed with an artist or genre and really run it into the ground. My first thought when I hear something new isn’t “I can’t wait to play this out”, but rather “I can’t wait to try and make something like this.” 

I’m very strongly influenced by what I’m into at the time, often inspiring an entire body of work rather than a single track. The Warehouse EP is a good example of this.

What’s your musical guilty pleasure?

I love the 60s; the Beach Boys and the Beatles make for the most high-yielding rivalry of all time in my opinion.

What’s the last song you listened to?

Hurts to be Hurt by Vargas & Lagola, the pair who wrote most of Avicii’s hits.

Who is your favourite producer/performer at the moment?

Elliot Adamson from my hometown has recently been picked up by Patrick Topping (also doing Newcastle proud) and has since smashed every release. When it comes to ignoring every rule, I haven’t come across anyone who does it better. Bicep has that special place in my heart though.

What is your go to tune to bring a party up/banger?

That Gimme Gimme Gimme edit seems to always do the trick (in Cambridge anyway).

What was the best party you’ve played?

Well obviously Pembroke bop, where else can I slap on a DnB edit of Angels and not get thrown off stage?

What’s coming up for you in the future?

I need to power through a debilitating second year of VetMed, hopefully resurfacing with some new music. I’ve already written the songs, I just need the comfort of home to finish them. 

Check out Anish's music on Spotify here (also available on other streaming services):


Anish's Tracklist:
Avalon Emerson - One More Fluorescent Rush
Bicep - Metro
Prospa - Prayer (Will Easton Remix)
DubVision - Young Money
Hammer - Parabola
Anil Aras - Planet A
Anish Kumar - Huntsman
Eric Prydz, Empire of the Sun - We Are Mirage w/ Bicep - Glue

Comments

Popular Posts