M&A #28: Iphi



Iphi came into this year without any background in mixing, but has projected herself onto a wide array of lineups since, her sets leaving everything on the dancefloor. After getting into techno after starting uni, she combined learning on the job with borrowing controllers to hone the skills that have given her the reputation of one of the most fun DJs in Cambridge. In this mix, she transports you with flowing, grooving electro, interspersed with flashy breaks and squelchy acid cuts. One of the highlights of Milk & Alcohol so far, this one is a simply outstanding exhibition of how to work a vibe, weave it in and out of genres, and bring surprises out in the most sumptuous fashion.


How did you record the mix?

Serato Pro. I literally downloaded it specifically for its record function for this- there’s a deal on right now where you can have it for a month for $1 (you’re welcome).

What were you trying to do with it?

The only idea I had in my head initially was to start relatively fast, get faster, then end up super slow, and which two tracks would open and end the set. Usually I tend to play tracks that I’m really enjoying at the time but I wanted all these to lead really gradually from one mood to another and get progressively more distorted before relaxing into the last track, and then I just experimented with which songs fitted really well into which.


You’ve been involved with Playtime this year, and there’s been a whole load of events the group have been associated with this term, from zines to CUCFS to Newnham ents. Have you had a hand in bringing the Playtime name to these events? What’s driven the expansion?

We’ve been up to so much this year and it’s been amazing! Because of a larger team we were able to up our social media presence last term and most collabs happen through people approaching us on Facebook. We’re all about inclusivity so it’s been so good to get involved in more than just club nights- I’m very excited for some chill DJ workshops for beginners and intermediates next term. Because of the team expanding we also decided to use Playtime to showcase our resident DJs this term, and really make it about each person’s set rather than focus on a genre/vibe- the variety always keeps it interesting and it also means its much more fun for the DJ to play whatever they want.

Something I noticed that was great about this mix was just how smooth every mix is, and how fluidly each track works its way into the next. Is this something you aim for in your mixing or track selection?

I really like mixing two songs together for ages and seeing what happens, or adding the bass from another track- this helps with the fluidity because you’ve been hearing the upcoming song as a looped riff for two minutes already, and also hearing two tracks that you love working so well over one another is always fun. It’s why I tend to prefer tracks with really long intro builds as well. There have, of course, been some disasters but that’s why I tend to turn up to every set with a scribbled list of what to play.

You’ve recently been appearing on more and more lineups at nights around Cam. What have you learnt from transitioning from playing on your own to a club setting? What about it has hooked you?

Fun fact- I got my first gig a week after I got my hands on some controllers, so I very much went for a ‘learn on the job’ approach. I think it was the Pink Week opening at Clare Cellars and my transitions were genuinely awful (I hadn’t figured out beatmatching was a thing. Oof) BUT what it made me realise is that if your tracks are good, no one really cares. Learning how to use CDJs for the first time was also nerve-wracking but again, there’s no point waiting until you feel ready or have had enough practise. I also learnt that it’s so important to figure out your own preferences- last term I was adapting according to each event, but this term’s Playtime event (Vitamin D) was the first time I played exactly what I wanted, and it was also the best crowd response ever- so now that’s what I go for. Which is, I think, what hooked me - people having a good time because of your music (basically, please validate my music taste).


How do you find new music? And do you categorise the new stuff? Genre, mood, energy?

I generally go for 130bpm, or thereabouts (‘high energy with some floaty bits’ is the technical term for the genre I go for, I believe) but more often than not I’ll speed up the original to get it there anyway- bit of distortion never harmed anyone. The YouTube algorithm can be a gem, and then there’s the recommended artists section on Spotify and THEN there’s stalking the people you follow on Spotify to see what music they’re listening too. Or if I like one track I’ll go and listen to the album, see if there are any are collabs, then go to the collaborator’s album. Also Shazaming on nights out. A chaotic mix, really. I don’t tend to categorise, but since I usually play what I’m currently listening to it generally coheres to some mood or other. Good thing I didn’t play any sets in week 5.

What’s your musical guilty pleasure?
Arctic Monkeys. I don’t even feel guilty.

What’s the last song you listened to?
I’m Sorry (feat. Shiloh) by Swell.

Who is your favourite producer/performer at the moment?
Midland. Midland. (Midland). 

What is your go to tune to bring a party up/banger
Raw Cuts by Kettama. To be honest, anything by Kettama.


What was the best party you’ve played?
Vitamin D!

What’s coming up for you in the future?
This week there’s SWEAT, Art in The Dark, and ARCSOC, and after that I think I’m probably sleeping for about 4 days straight. 

Tracklist:
The Alchemy of Circumstance- Midland
Body- Kettama
Sacromonte- Mordisco
I Need You- Octo Octa
Acid Mania- Nick Kolbe
Pacific State- 808 State
Get Impetuous- Mall Grab
Controller- Channel Tres
Turn the Box Up- Kettama Graveyard Remix
Blush- Midland
Got to Keep On- The Chemical Brothers
Eva- Punctual 
Along Came Polly- Rebuke
Keep It Real- Kettama
A.A.L.A.S- Denis Sulta
Comatose- Eats Everything
Workaholic Paranoid Bitch- Marie Davidson
It’s Tough, But Not as Much as the Dream is Worth- Denis Sulta
Otvechai Za Slova- Kedr Livanskiy
Close To Paradise- Patrick Watson

Comments

Popular Posts