M&A #05: Laksh


Laksh is everywhere at the moment. If you didn’t catch his storming set in the early hours of last term’s ARCSOC Cabaret, then you may have seen him warming up at Slipped Disc or Urban Bass. However, he’s not only good at spinning records but making them too, releasing his debut single ‘Prefer To Stay’ on Dancers End Records last September. His Instagram story is awash with clips of his creations, which we hope we’ll be able to hear soon. Here, Laksh takes us through an almost trance-like hour of music from his liquid DnB vinyl collection.


How did you record the mix?
I recorded it on a pair of Technics turntables and Allen & Heath Xone23 mixer.

What were you trying to do with the mix?

I love collecting quite ambient drum and bass and jungle. I was trying to go for a mix that included a lot of tunes you would rarely hear on a DnB, or even liquid DnB night (maybe because of their structure, or intricate elements).

Drum & Bass is hugely popular in the UK, particularly at universities. What do you think of the DnB scene in Cambridge? How has it evolved while you’ve been here?

In my first year there was Warning and Hospitality which put on events at the Junction. They are really good fun and I’d definitely recommend going if you haven’t. Warning has been going since the 90s jungle days so it definitely has a culture. Hospitality put on one event a year at the Junction and normally bring in a very good lineup so it is definitely something to look out for.

One thing that is a bit of a shame is the lack of female DJs and producers in DnB (it is still an issue in other genres, but DnB suffers maybe the most), and I hope that in the times to come, big labels like Hospital try to spend more effort seeking out female talent.

In my second year, Urban Bass started and in my opinion this has given the DnB and Bass scene a lot more exposure to Cambridge students (most have never been to Warning or Hospitality). The acts they normally book are of great calibre and I’d recommend going to one if you haven’t.

Finally, the most recent change in the scene is the restart of Spoonfed, which was apparently quite a popular night years ago. To be honest I’ve probably enjoyed Spoonfed nights the most since it fits my taste of minimal DnB well.

You have played at both bass and house/techno nights. They can often seem quite separated whether that between social circles or even just in a set, mixing the tempos is hard. Do you look for something different in a DnB track versus a techno/house tune? Why do you think this difference arises?

I have discussed this a lot with one of my close home friends. We think the change in tempo can often be quite jarring for us (even though we love both genres). The energy of the two genres can be very different too: on average, DnB is a lot more energetic and this adds to the complications of blending the two. Having said this, more and more people are dropping in jungle and DnB tracks during house and techno sets and I praise them for doing so.

I think there can be a lot of judgement from groups who might listen to just one genre. 

Anyone that follows you on Instagram will know you produce a lot of music yourself. When did you start that and what route has it taken so far?

I started producing about a year and a half ago. It is possibly the most enjoyable thing ever (for me). I find it a great way to unleash my creativity. For people who love music and have given thought to it, I really recommend it: there is free software out there and a wealth of knowledge on YouTube to get you started. All you really need is a laptop and headphones.

Production is definitely a rabbit hole and I would say I got sucked into it. You might start producing and the next thing you know, the entire day has passed! In that way, I guess it’s a great way to kill time, but maybe not such a good idea to start a tune when close to exams.

Last summer I was record shopping at my local shop and came across a brilliant record from Elkie Brooks. One of the songs had just singing on it and I ended up sampling that. The sample was so good that the entire song pretty much wrote itself in two days. That ended up being the first record I released on a label (Dancers End Records, shouts to Clay for believing in me). You can check it out here: https://bit.ly/2VkHkQn

Do you have any plans for where it will go in future?

I love producing but obviously trying to break into the dance music industry is very difficult. I’m going to keep it as my very passionate hobby for the foreseeable future. I recently saw a Facebook comment in which a fairly big DnB producer (Serum) talked about his story. He was making tunes that all the big DJs would play out back in 2008. However, he still had to keep a full-time job until 2017 when he finally could earn his living completely from music. So, it’s not what it might seem for many DJs. Most may have a part or full-time job. From what I’ve gathered off other peoples’ experiences: if you love it and stick at it, eventually something will happen.

How/when did you get into DJing originally?
I bought a second-hand controller for £30 and made a liquid DnB mix. I sent that to my college Bop organisers, and they gave me a set at my Bop. It all went uphill from there.

What is your musical guilty pleasure?
Metro Boomin (although can argue that it’s not really a ‘guilty’ pleasure – his productions really aren’t cheesy in my opinion).

What is the last song you listened to?
Efdemin – New Atlantis (off his most recent album New Atlantis)



Who is your favourite producer/performer at the moment?
I am really loving Jensen Interceptor’s productions at the moment. His output is insane and his sound design is wicked. He’s really pushing the electro sound forward. I would love to see him live at some point – he recently moved to Berlin so hopefully he’ll play in the UK soon.

What is your go to tune to bring a party up/banger?
I do like to play a lot of deep stuff but if a party is dwindling in energy then Maceo Plex – Conjure Balearia is always a great one to play. It always perks people up whenever I play it.

What was the best party you’ve played?
It probably has to be a party I did in Oxford last summer. It wasn’t very busy and by the end there were only a couple left. However, one of the people seemed to know a lot about music and went crazy when I played more obscure tracks. We had a synergy and I kept on playing more and more underground stuff. We bonded over tracks that don’t played out a lot but are still very good (and in many ways to me preferable over the more popular tracks).

What have you got planned for the future?
I’m playing at Queue the Music on Tuesday (might be past this time when uploaded) and Slipped Disc in June.

Naibu - Red Hand
Seba - Interstate
Tokyo Prose - Innate Motion
LBS - Roots
Satl - Dreamworld
Marcus Intalex - Deep Stepper
Nitri & Level 2 feat. Grimm - Lies (Calibre remix)
Satl - Rattler FD - Into You
Redeyes - We Were Kings
Naibu - Achille
Spectrasoul - Burst (Calibre remix)
Satl - Everything Anything
Zero T & Steo - Refusal (Calibre remix)


(apologies that this tracklist isn't timestamped, I didn't have time). 



Comments

Popular Posts