M&A #47: KSANDI



Milk & Alcohol celebrates music which is deeply tied to black communities and black culture. The racist treatment of black people by police and society as a whole is more apparent now than ever, and so we believe it's important to give back to these communities. We want to tie our posts to some recommendations for places you can go to learn more about what we can do, or what you should understand, in order to actively help fight it:
  • This tool helps you write to your MP to demand condemnation of the US response to protests, justice for Belly Mujinga and Shukri Abdi and further action to change attitudes from the top of government: https://write-for-changes.herokuapp.com/
This time is one for reflection. The virus has affected us all, but it is temporary. The injustice experienced by black and other people of colour has survived over countless generations and has shaped society in ways we must acknowledge. Here we look to focus on a love for music, and all this music comes from the creativity and hardship of black communities. The least we can all do is give back, maybe with your time, maybe with money (for example, the amount you might have spent on a night out if corona wasn't a thing) and go forward consciously elevating these voices.

KSANDI was one of the duo who set up SWEAT, a queer night catering to tastes slightly more thumpy than your classic Glitterbomb exxxperience. The night lived up to its billing, with Fez's stifling heat, a largely topless dance floor and overtly erotic selections behind the decks. This mix follows the vibe of KSANDI's stunning B2B (with The Qween of Modafinil) that night, with a kind of unapologetic, sexy, angry energy linking Cardi B, SOPHIE and Gaga, among others. It's one that really makes you long for a smokey, sticky dance floor and £1.50 tequila. 


How did you record the mix?

On my lil Pioneer DDJ-200 moment.

What were you trying to do with it?

It is really a reflection of a lot of what my friend Ash and I were trying to cultivate when we set up SWEAT last year. The Cambridge music scene (predominantly the queer scene) lacks variety, especially with regards to genres such as PC-style music and more experimental stuff. This is kind of the direction I like to go in with my mixing because realistically it pops. Also at the moment being in lockdown etc life is quite low-energy and monotonous so I have been escaping with a lot of high intensity bleep bloop music, with kind of empty lyrical content. The words are being used to fill some kind of space and are used as an extra instrument rather than being the point of the song, which is quite refreshing. Also, the song I ended on was not part of my initial plan but I thought it acted as an interesting counterpoint to the energy of the main body and reflects a lot of the feeling going around at the moment.

What’s your musical guilty pleasure?

Oh my god I have so many. I guess Little Mix is definitely up there. Sean Paul is also a strong contender. I wouldn’t generally consider myself to have ‘good’ music taste, like I don’t think all of the songs I enjoy are necessarily worthy of examination or convey deep meaning but I am kind of at peace with that - sometimes I don’t want to go on someone else’s emotional journey.

What’s the last song you listened to?

Damn Daniel by Bree Runway.

Who is your favourite producer/performer at the moment?


Probably Ayesha Erotica. There’s certainly a level of allure to music that is really hard to find. I have to find her on SoundCloud etc but then it feels like a whole experience. She is the moment right now even if she is trying her damnedest to not be.

What is your go-to banger?

Honestly, it depends who I am with. Anything by Azealia Banks (specifically Fierce or 1991) will get my juices pumping but I am quite a big fan of Steel Bangelz (Bad) and Aitch (Buss Down, Strike a Pose) and they are probably better crowd-pleasers; no one wants to be bopping to a banger on their own in the corner.

What’s coming up for you during/after Quarantine?

Mainly reading and I have a few sewing projects that I haven’t had time to finish until now. Also working out how we can potentially make SWEAT happen next term, depending on restrictions etc, and getting into my new role as co-President of the Caius Feminism & Gender Society.

KSANDI's Tracklist:

Bip Burger - BIP LING
Scheiße - Lady Gaga
Press - Cardi B
Boy Next Door - GFOTY
Literal Legend - Ayesha Erotica
Lemonade - SOPHIE
BFF - Slayyyter
c2.0 - Charli XCX
STUPID - Ashnikko (feat. Yung Baby Tate)
Beez In The Trap - Nicki Minaj, 2 Chainz
Money On A Gold Plate - A. G. Cook
Heavy Metal and Reflective - Azealia Banks
I Hope - Faithless


Comments

Popular Posts